Thursday, October 18, 2012

style on a major budget

Robert is a student, I am a stay-at-home-mum, and therefore, we are poor.
Like living on loans poor.
It won't be this way forever, but I must tell you, I have really had to do some serious reigning in when it comes to my love of shopping.
This has hurt my closet immensely. Before I got married I had a full time job and no one else to worry about. I would go shopping on the regular without a care in the world. Not so anymore.

Times have changed and so must my shopping habits and my closet has been suffering lately because of it.
Luckily, I am an avid thrift shopper and have therefore decided to try and find a few pieces each week to add a little spice to my wardrobe without breaking the bank.
Ideally these pieces will be $4 and under, excluding shoes, which are generally a little more pricey.
Yesterday I found a few pieces at amazing prices that I'm excited to style.

Chambray shirt (J. Crew): $1.49
Black boots: $7.99
Mini polka-dots skirt: $1.49

Thrift shopping is a little tricky because most of the clothes are wrinkled (as evidenced in these photos) or not hung properly so you really have to try and envision what the piece can become.
Honestly, I really have no idea whether a piece might work until I a) try it on and b) take it home and style it.
Usually if I like the way it fits, I'm sure it's going to work with something I have.
I'm excited to try styling a few of these pieces today and to see what I can come up with. 
I'll share tomorrow! 

7 comments:

  1. those black boots are killer. you must have some flippin' awesome thrift stores near you... i feel like i never score that big thrifting. my husband is in school as well right now and we have definitely learned to make some major adjustments in the financial dept... which sure is rough when you like to shop, huh? thanks for stopping by today! following back:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those boots soo much. Im so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These items are great and for the price you got them for, even better. The boots I'm totally in love with ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thrifting! Are those boots real leather? And you're right..you really do have to envision it with things you own or not wrinkled...haha.. that chambrae shirt is perfect!

    run-style-run.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the thrift store called where you found all these great deals?! A J. Crew shirt for only $1.47? That is a score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OHHHHH those BOOTS!!!!!!! I love thrifting!!!

    My tree you asked about: AMAZON!!!!!! There's a link in my post!

    ReplyDelete