Monday, December 12, 2022

life lately

Life is so sweet these days. Now that my kids are getting a little older, it's becoming more apparent to me how quickly time is passing and how fleeting certain stages are. I am trying so hard to soak up my kids wanting to snuggle with me in their beds, making messes, saying funny things...I realize now how quickly things change. My friend Catherine's daughter, Winnie, recently passed away after being hit by a car, and that single event has truly changed the way I look at my kids and view life in general. I am surely not a perfect parent or living as the ideal version of myself at all times, but whenever I think about how quickly someone I love could be taken from me, I want to be more present and more connected. I want to savor life and the simple, everyday moments that make up most of this time on earth. 


Hannah is my last little monkey left at home. She now goes to preschool three times each week for a few hours in the morning, but otherwise she's my right hand girl. She is a ball of fun and spunk and makes life so much fun. She is also as strong-willed as they come and I have gotten better and better at spinning things to make them her idea instead of mine. It's the only way to get through a day without too much pushback. Hannah is always singing or creating or making inanimate objects animate. She is a delight. She is a million miles a minute and has the best facial expressions. I love her so much. 


My mom's dad, Grandpa Van, was a proficient organist and would often play the organ for silent movies back when my mom was young. I never met my grandpa because he died well before I was born, but my mom set up a time for us all to go to Edison Street Theater, the exact theater and organ my grandpa used to play, to see a silent movie a few weeks ago. It was so fun! They played Charlie Chaplain's movie "The Kid." Luckily it was short, because I'm not sure my kids could have lasted much longer than the 30 or 40 minutes, but it was amazing to see the organist there play along with the movie. No music, just all by memory as he watched the film.


I cannot emphasize enough how much I love where we live. We honestly struck gold when we moved to our new house. So many kids right in our backyard for our kids to hang out with, and Robert and I love all their parents. We couldn't have chosen a better spot. After big snow storms our backyard neighbors, the Yoho's, bust out their little kids snowmobiles and set up a track around their unfenced yard for the kids to ride. Hannah and Will were out there with the crew for about 3 hours the other day. Every kids dream! Pictured above is Hannah with Will's buddy, Jace. I joked with his parents that this picture will have to go in their wedding video one day. Below is a crazy-toothed Will getting stuck on the fence...no big surprise there. ;)


One of our sweet neighbors made a ton of sugar cookies and brought some over for our kids to decorate. I'm telling you, we have the best neighbors.



Matt surprised Charlotte for her 40th birthday by flying some family and friends to Las Vegas for a weekend. Even though I don't love Vegas, being with my mom and sisters was so fun! Bob was a good sport, as always, staying home with the kids and holding down the fort in Utah. Our trip included lots of shopping, good food, a Cirque de Soleil show, and a little karaoke. I think Charlotte was genuinely so surprised. I just love her so much and am so grateful for her friendship. I can't wait to see them for Christmas!




I cannot even describe how happy the time from Thanksgiving to Christmas makes me! I love gathering with family and eating good food and turning on Christmas music and twinkle lights around the house. I honestly get giddy about it. I've felt this way since I was a kid and somehow the magic hasn't gone away for me. I love buying gifts and making cookies and seeing the lights...it's all so nostalgic for me. Last year was our first year getting a permit to cut down a Christmas tree ourselves, and I thought it was so fun. Slightly stressful, but mostly just so fun. We went again this year, but this time to a new spot. Although incredibly beautiful, this spot was unfortunately very tricky to get out of and we ended up getting stuck on our way out and having to get some help to make our way back to the main road. But...the Christmas tree cutting was still a lot of fun. We went to Smith Morehouse campground this time, just to mix it up, but we will certainly be going back to the other spot next year that is plowed all the way to the parking lot.





Minnie got the role of Crutchie in the production of "Newsies" at our local children's theater. She even had her own solo and everything and did SO well! I feel like she really blossomed in this show. She then tried out for the school production of Frozen and just found out she got the lead as Elsa! We are all so excited for her. She is excited for herself too...she carries her script around EVERYWHERE. It cracks me up.





Our ward had a Christmas breakfast this past weekend and I cannot even begin to explain how much I love a live nativity. Hannah and her cute friends dressed as angels made me melt. Have I said how much I love Christmas? I really do. I love spending it with my magic kids, even though a couple of them are now convinced Santa isn't real. The magic and the spirit are still there and I also love being the one to help create the magic. I am really excited about these next few weeks with Robert off of work, spending time with friends, and lots of time with family, especially the cutie Adseros who will be here soon. My kids are dying!















No comments:

Post a Comment