Friday, January 13, 2012

Reading Again


I've been on a slight hiatus from reading the last few months (due to a little someone who's name starts with M and ends with innie) and decided I missed it terribly and would make it more of a priority. Julia brought back a shelf full of good books upon her return from college, and lucky for me that I live in my parent's house and spend an ample amount of time in Julia's old bedroom. I decided to start reading The Great Gatsby because a) I remembered really enjoying it when I read it in high school and b) Robert and I just watched the movie "Midnight in Paris" and F. Scott Fitzgerald, the author of The Great Gatsby, was portrayed as one of the main characters...which then reminded me how much I'd loved the book. Anyhow, I picked up this book off of Julia's shelf and discovered she must have bought it used because there was quite a bit of writing on the majority of the pages. Initially I found it kind of endearing, thinking of who must have had it before her, and I thought it might be interesting to see what they'd written...until I actually started reading the book.


The comments in the margins and the highlighted words seem senseless and useless. I can hardly concentrate on the actual story because my eyes are too busy being diverted by the commentary and overly circled words. I'm now a quarter of the way through the book and I think I'm finally mastering the art of concentrating on the printed text and overlooking the circles. Robert tried reading a page the other day and could barley handle it. Oh well, if it's as good as I remember it will be worth it.
Here's to reading again!

No comments:

Post a Comment