Tuesday, September 17, 2013

potty training ain't for sissies


First off, do you like how I edited Min's little nakey bod in the first picture?
I gotta keep my girl modest, although she would rather run around in her skivvies day and night.

So as you may or may not know, we started potty training last week.
All I can say is that I am a tired lady.
It probably wasn't the smartest move to start it right before a weekend vacation, but I figured if not now, when?
The first two days were great. 
We pretty much just stayed home for two days and I let Minnie roam the house wild and free because I knew that without a diaper she would finally realize when she was relieving herself.
I gave her lots to drink and we would run to the potty every 15 or 30 minutes just to see if she could go.
After two number ones in the kitchen (tile, thank goodness) the girl got the hang of it and we were accident free for two days.
I felt like the queen of the world.
Take that, potty training!

Fast forward two days to our vacation.
Two accidents (number one and number two) and one of those was in her carseat.
I wanted to cry.
I just didn't know how to explain to Minnie that we couldn't go in our underwear.
She didn't even seem one bit phased by any of it.
She had yet another accident Sunday night and last night (in the carseat again), and after all our talk of "what do you tell Mommy when you need to go potty?" and "Where does poo poo go? The potty! That's right!" I just felt defeated.
Today has been a better day.
No accidents at all.
We haven't left the house, mind you, but I'm feeling optimistic. 

Any of you who have potty trained have good ideas about how to help prevent accidents out and about?
Should I just strap a diaper on her?
Take her to the bathroom every chance I get?
We've got to figure this out or else I'm going to fear ever leaving the house again.

Potty training moms unite!


5 comments:

  1. I don't really feel bad for you. Try a year of that. Lincoln killed me! I am so happy Bennett was easier. Minnie's pig tails are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really feel bad for you. Try a year of that. Lincoln killed me! I am so happy Bennett was easier. Minnie's pig tails are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really feel bad for you. Try a year of that. Lincoln killed me! I am so happy Bennett was easier. Minnie's pig tails are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound like you are doing good. With my little girl Jordyn, She did awesome at home and then for the first little while we did pull ups when we were out and about. I didn't encourage her to go in them though. When we walked into a store we went potty first thing and same with when we walked out (depending on how long we were there and what she drank) and after a while she got used to going in public places and we started getting more daring without the pull up. It just takes time. One day it just clicks and she won't want to wear a pull up and she will have no accidents. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete