Monday, November 5, 2012

peter pan collar tutorial

 shirt - h&m | skirt - thrifted | belt - thrifted | shoes - Steve Madden | watch - Target
I know Peter Pan collars aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I have come to really love them.
I feel like there's something sweet and old timey about them.
I have yet to purchase an article of clothing with a Peter Pan collar but decided I'd go ahead and give a removable Peter Pan collar a shot.
Now all of my shirts can be Peter Pan collared if I want them to be!

Before I tell you anything else, let me first tell you that I am not a perfectionist, especially when it comes to sewing and crafts.
I like for things to look good, but I try to do everything the simplest way possible.
So, with that preface, here is how to make a Peter Pan collar according to moi.

What you will need: paper, pins, fabric of your choice, thin ribbon, scissors, sewing machine, thread, and a button

1. Create a pattern out of paper and hold it up against your neck to see if you like the size/shape.
2. Pin the pattern to a piece of fabric folded in half with the back side of the fabric showing so you will end up with two pieces of fabric for each pattern piece.

3. Cut the pattern out about 1/8 of an inch bigger on all sides to give yourself a small seam allowance.

4. Sew the pattern pieces together with about a 1/8 inch seam allowance, leaving about an inch or an inch and a half unsewn near the top to allow you to turn it right-side out.
5. Turn the pieces right-side out.

6. Take a thin piece of ribbon and place about 1/2 inch of it in the opening at the top of the fabric. Then top stitch the opening closed, sewing the ribbon in place.

7. I added some additional ribbon to the edges of my pieces for a little detail. I also felt like mine was a slightly wonky so this just made it feel a bit more put together.

8. Overlap the two pieces slightly and hand sew a button to hold them together. Be sure to make your button stitches close together so the two pieces can still move to adjust to each neckline you choose to wear it with.


You will need to adjust the collar to the neckline of your shirt. If you have a wider neckline you may need to use pins through the back side of the collar to keep it exactly where you want it.


And VOILA! You have yourself a Peter Pan collar.

6 comments:

  1. love it! thanks for linking up to Make it Monday! I gave it a shout out on the Brassy Apple FB page

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this outfit! its adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I have seen so many different collars, this one is very cute. I found you on the Brassy Apple-Make in Monday. See mine on :
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/11/homemade-pizza.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute, I have been reading your posts and concluded you are so stinking domestic and the best thrifter, where is your fav place to go?

    ReplyDelete