Friday, May 31, 2013

infant gardners


As soon as we found out we'd be staying in Salt Lake City for awhile, Bob and I decided it was time to plant a garden.
We've been wanting a garden since we were married, but every year it just hasn't worked out.
Apartment living, baby prep, moving back East for the summer, etc.
Well, this is the year folks.

My parents already had some herbs and other plants growing in the garden, but unfortunately there was lots of weeding to be done because the yard had been sorely neglected the last two years.
It took a few days, but we finally got most of what we wanted planted.
And now, Robert and I are the biggest gardening nerds you'll ever meet.
We go outside daily looking for new sprouts and signs of life.
We're like new parents all over again.
I must admit, it's been pretty fun.


Thus far we have planted: beans, snow peas, corn, onions, cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, pumpkin, watermelon and basil.

We also have: rhubarb (which I have no idea what to do with. My mom loves the stuff), mint and thyme.

We are still planning to plant some lettuce and tomatoes. Hopefully we'll get more of the yard weeded this weekend so we can get those babies going.

It's so fun to be able to do this together with Robert. We seriously have no idea what we are doing and both of us are surprised any of this stuff is actually growing. I love getting excited about things and learning how to do things together. Gardening is also a great hobby for me because Min and my future babes can run around and play in the yard while I work.

I remember when my parents got really into gardening for a few years when we were younger and I specifically remember my dad proudly bringing in a head of Romaine lettuce from "the farm", as he lovingly called it, for my mom to make a salad. As we ate dinner he would tell us over and over how good it tasted. The pride in his eyes was unmistakable. He was eating the fruit of his labors, literally. I thought he was such a nerd and now look at me...biggest nerd of all time. In a month or two I can imagine me or Robert doing the very same thing when our garden is in full swing.

As I'm getting older I'm learning a few things, like parents are a lot cooler than I thought and that I'm going to be a lot more like mine than I ever dreamt. And you know what? I kind of like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment