Tuesday, January 6, 2015

christmas morning


Christmas this year felt pretty darn special. With my parents home and it being our first Christmas in our new house, it felt like the first real Christmas we've had in a long time. To put a cherry on top of it all, Mother Nature dropped a few good inches of the white stuff in the wee hours of Christmas morning. She couldn't have timed it better.

Minnie is kind of like clockwork in that when I hear her door open up in the morning within 5 seconds I can look down at the end of my bed and see her little head toddling in to come greet me. When she opens her door she has a direct view of the living room and as soon as I heard it open Christmas morning I jumped out of bed and caught her just as she was beelining it for the living room. No need to stop at my bedside...there were way more important matters at hand.

My family always had a tradition of having everyone line up on the stairs and then walk in to see what Santa brought in age order, youngest to oldest. We only have two, but gosh it is fun to keep traditions going with our own little family. The way the girls eyes lit up when they saw the teepee set up and all of the presents under the tree...I about burst.

I went a little overboard on presents. For some reason I didn't take into account all of the other presents they would get from family and by the time Christmas Eve was over they both pretty much had all the presents they needed. Our family was so generous. A note taken for next year...buy a lot less.

I am disappointed I didn't get pictures from Christmas Eve at my parents. It was such a good night. Minnie did have a little trouble with the tri-tip and got a piece lodged awkwardly in her throat which hurt her for a good 30 minutes, but she recovered and was as happy as could be opening her 5,000 presents. Gosh it's nice to have my parents home. My mom is a master hostess and always makes the best food. My dad read the Christmas story from Luke and it was pretty sweet watching he and Minnie discuss it as he read.

I was so proud of myself that I had pretty much all of our presents wrapped a few days before Christmas, but I didn't take into account how long the kitchen set we bought online would take to put together. We got home from our Christmas Eve festivities past 11 pm and Robert and I didn't end up going to bed until after 3 am. Woof! Lesson learned: wrap and assemble before Christmas Eve.

Robert went above and beyond this Christmas and took me on a little scavenger hunt around the house after all the gifts were opened to finally discover a MacBook Air he'd miraculously kept hidden from me. I was seriously blown away. I have needed a new laptop for a few years but we'd put limits on our gifts and I knew he would stay within them. Apparently not this year.

I love December and everything that comes with it, even the cold. It is such a time of hope and love and light. We took our Christmas tree down last week and I almost shed a few tears as Robert hauled it out to the road. It was such a light in our house and it felt so empty without it. Even though Robert and I both celebrate our birthdays in January, the month still feels so dreary. The new year has brought some excitement in that it's a fresh start and I have a lot I'm looking forward to and hopefully that's enough to get me through the next couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment