Thursday, October 4, 2012

i'm a mama missing my mama


I'm a grown woman (sort of) and I miss my mom and dad. A lot.
There, I said it.
They've been away for over a year now, and although I've grown accustomed to their absence, it doesn't mean I like it.
They're serving a mission for our church in Micronesia, Guam for three years and are unable to come home during that time (except for the brief week my madre was here when Minnie was born...bless her).

As Robert and I were driving up Big Cottonwood Canyon this weekend to a  hike my family often takes together, I had this sudden pang in my heart as I thought about them and how much I wished they could be with us.
We talk to them on Skype at least once a week, which Minnie loves, but it's nothing like seeing them in person.
My dad hasn't even met Minnie yet.

My parents are the kind of parents you actually want to hang out with.
When Bob and I were first married they were some of the first people who'd come to mind when we wanted to go on a double date.
And we went on dates with them often.
I'm a little disheartened that our go to sushi place is now out of business, but I'm confident we'll find somewhere new for our last minute doubles when they return.

I'm so proud of them. Going on this mission was a huge leap of faith and they have jumped in with both feet.
I know they are exactly where they should be right now but I can't help but miss them terribly sometimes.
But guess who just bought us plane tickets to Guam for Christmas???!
Woot woot!
Tropical paradise and a Mecham family reunion for Christmas?
Don't mind if I do!
Can't wait to see you Mom and Dad.

{Here are a few pictures they've shared with us over the last few months..I hope you don't mind Mom and Dad}


I'm sure there is no question why I am excited to go to this place in two and a half months.
Am I right, or am I right?

4 comments:

  1. Guam looks amazing! Have fun this Christmas and seeing your family. What a great present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no way! my grandparents served in the same mission! SO CRAZY. man, sorry you can't be close to your parents. I'm married and grown up too- supposedly. but i still miss my mom so much all the time! i can relate...

    kerrirogers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! What a small world! Do you know what island they served on?

      Delete