Monday, June 17, 2013

father's day in these parts


Father's Day was so ridiculously relaxing this year.
I didn't have to cook a thing and guess who had put together Bob's presents well ahead of time?
This girl!
That in itself was a miracle.

We spent the morning at church, came home and ate lunch, took a long nap and then headed to Bob's parents for a little family party.
Sloppy joes, trampoline jumping, watermelon, cherry picking, root beer flouts and cousins galore...those are the fixin's for a perfect Father's day in my book.

I was able to talk to my parents for a minute via Skype to wish my dad a happy Father's Day.
He got a machete from my mom for Father's Day and he was quite pleased with it.
He took it out of it's case just to show me.
I guess all the men on the islands have them so they can cut down tall grasses and stuff.
I suppose if he's lived in Guam for two years and still has another to go he should probably have one too.
He's hilarious.

We ended the night relaxing with my brother and his wife at their house, topping off all we ate with donuts and cookies.
Can you say indulgent weekend?

I am more grateful than ever for amazing Robert and for my good, good dad.
Yesterday morning we were told that a good family friend's husband had passed away that morning after suffering injuries from a car accident.
My heart ached, and honestly, it rocked me the rest of the day and I still can't stop thinking about it.
They have three children, the oldest of which is just a year younger than me.
He was such a good man and they are one of the best families I know.
Really, this sort of thing could happen to any one of us at any time.
Life is so fragile and I think I forget that until something like this happens.
I am grateful for the time we have with those we love.
I am grateful for good men who love their families and live honorable lives.
I am also grateful to know that although unexpected things like this happen in life, that we will be able to see those we love again through the gospel of Jesus Christ.
It is through Him that all things are made right.

1 comment: